2019 Eastern Hemisphere Meetup Resources
Check out the photos, videos, worksheets, and more from the Meetup!
Forging Connections Across Culture
1- Building a Culture of Innovation
We spent the first full day of the Meetup at Youth Hub in Dubai. We explored strategies to build a culture of innovation, and dived into moonshot thinking and prototyping to bring bold ideas to life. We also looked at what makes effective teams.
- Slide deck: Culture of Innovation, Moonshot Thinking, Prototyping
- Stanford 2025 website
- Article: A moonshot Approach to Change in Higher Education
- Article on Behaviors of Innovative Entrepreneurs by Dyer et al.
- Effective Teams: Google’s re:work website (research, case studies and activities)
- Effective Teams UIF wiki page: Fostering Psychological Safety Activity
2- Reimagining Learning
Through a collection activities, we explored different ways of learning, engaging our whole selves, and shaping our environment to foster creative behaviors.
- Levers to Create Learning Experiences
- Space: Shaping Behaviors and Creating Culture
- Why Dance Matters
- The Inspiration Walk: Website
- Stokes! Presentation, Activities Deck and Guide
- Six Hats and Growth Mindset: Prezis (challenge A; challenge B) + wiki page (coming soon)
When you bring together a group of talented and passionate people (that’s you, Fellows!), an UNconference is a great way to allow conversations and collaborations to grow organically based on the interests of those in the room.
- Instructions on how to run an Unconference (wiki page)
4- Unleashing the power of the UIF movement
Whether you are designing a workshop, a meeting, or a space, keep in mind the needs and motivations of the stakeholders involved. How do you want them to feel? What should they do as a result of participating in your event? Now intentionally design the flow of activities and the environment to promote the desired feelings and behaviors. Use the resources here as a guide.
- Designing for engagement worksheet 1 and worksheet 2
Benjamin Franklin said: “Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” A great way to get others on board is to engage them in an activity. We designed a 2-hour activity called “The Innovator’s Toolkit: Design Thinking” that you can use to engage others in practicing the behaviors and mindsets of innovators. This activity can be done in teams or individually, and with small or large groups.
5- Books and swag
The brand new book about our program — Designing For Change: Using social learning to understand organizational transformation, by renowned social scientists Bev and Etienne Wenger-Trayner — is on Amazon. Check it out and share far and wide: http://bit.ly/uif-book
Want your own “Empathy Matters” t-shirt? How about a UIF stole for graduation? We’ve created a page on our website where you can download designs that we’ve printed on shirts, hoodies, stickers and more. https://universityinnovationfellows.org/uif-store
6- Ignites and event video
Event video coming soon!