Check out the photos, worksheets and other materials from the University Innovation Fellows Silicon Valley Meetup in November 2017.
Here are the playlists with all of your favorite tunes!
- ui5 blog post: We Believe Music Can Change the World
- Silicon Valley Meetup blog post – A Celebration to Remember
1- Building a Culture of Innovation
At Google, we were hosted by Chief Innovation Evangelist Frederik Pferdt. We explored the common strategies that UIF and Google use to build a culture of innovation, and dived into moonshot thinking and prototyping to bring bold ideas to life. We also looked at what makes effective teams.
- UIF @ Google: Culture of Innovation, Moonshot Thinking, Prototyping.
- Stanford 2025 website
- Article on Behaviors of Innovative Entrepreneurs by Dyer et al.
- Effective Teams: Google’s re:work website (research, case studies and activities)
- Effective Teams: Psychological Safety Activity (coming soon!)
2- Reimagining Learning
Through a circuit of activities, we explored different ways of learning, engaging our whole selves, and shaping our environment to foster creative behaviors.
- Reimagining Learning Levers: Prezi and PDF
- Space: Shaping Behaviors and Creating Culture
- Aleta Hayes at TEDx Stanford
- The Inspiration Walk: Website (+ Nearpod Self-guided Activity coming soon!)
- Stokes! Activities Deck and Guide
- Books recommended by Dan Klein: “As We Speak” by Peter Meyers, and “Improv Wisdom” by Patricia Ryan Madson (also, watch Dan’s talks here and here).
- Six Hats and Growth Mindset: Instructions and additional resources (coming soon!)
When you bring together a group of talented and passionate people (that’s you, Fellows!), an Unconference is a great way to allow conversations to grow organically based on the interests of those in the room.
- Unconference Topics Prezi
- Instructions on how to run an Unconference (coming soon!)
4- Music Design Challenge
Our special 5th anniversary celebration, which brought together new and returning Fellows, was a day full of music and creative collaboration!
- Stanford Taiko drummers performance on November 19, 2017
- Nearpod instructions for Music Design Challenges (coming soon!)
- Nearpod lessons to host your own challenge, brainstorming with constraints or storytelling sessions (coming soon!)
- ui5 challenge ideas YouTube playlist
5- Designing for Engagement
Whether you are designing a workshop, a meeting, or a space, keep in mind the needs and motivations of the stakeholders, and intentionally design the flow of activities and the environment. Use the resources here as a guide.
- Designing for Engagement Prezi
- Designing for engagement, worksheet 1
- Designing for engagement, worksheet 2
- Submitted worksheets
6- Designing for Inclusion
Diversity is a fact. Inclusion is a practice. Equity is a goal.
- The instructional materials shared above are under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. To view a copy of this license visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/.
- We are always interested in hearing how you use these resources, so feel free to share stories and comments with email@example.com